- Chinese Folk Dance
- Japanese Taiko Drumming
Parents are invited to attend the PUSD Curriculum Forum meeting on Thursday, November 8 from 3:30 – 5:00pm in the PHS Student Center (800 Magnolia Ave.). This curriculum forum is part of a 2-year review of world languages at PUSD, K-12. Thursday’s session will focus on PMS language scope and sequence, and what comparable schools are doing.
There are a few topics that have been discussed to date in site council regarding the PMS program:
- world language instruction does not start until the second half of 7th grade. Parents who are seeking continuous language for their children (and during that key window of language learning prior to age 12) must seek classes outside of the school day.
- world language in 2nd semester of 7th grade and 8th grade is an elective, so it is optional and competes with other offerings
- as more kids finish 5-6 years of study with the new/improved PLS classes, it is important that there be a smooth transition in terms of skill level and learning for them.
If you have specific feedback or questions, but can’t attend, contact PLS board member Amy Weaver (firstname.lastname@example.org) know so that PLS can incorporate your ideas into the discussion.
This is an opportunity to learn more about our educational philosophy, the process of learning a second language, get to know the Viva el Espanol teachers. Piedmont Language School board members will be on hand to update you on the World Language Review with the school district and discuss how we are working to raise awareness and support for providing all our students (K-12) the best possible language and cultural training.
Consider checking out the 16th Annual Arab Film Festival, for films that provide realistic perspectives on Arab people, culture, art, history, and politics. The festival runs now through Oct 21st.
Date: Friday, October 5, 2012
Time: 7:00 to 9:00 pm
Location: Ellen Driscoll Playhouse, 325 Highland Avenue, Piedmont, California
Meet Mike Dorward – Astronomy Enthusiast
- Mike has studied astronomy for more than 20 years
- Regularly attends the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference
- Come hear about his upcoming travels to Australia to see a total eclipse of the sun
All pre-registered children receive a free traditional Chinese lantern
- Arts & Crafts
- Moon cake tasting
- Join us for an evening parade
The Trischool Site Council will meet on Tuesday, October 2nd 3:30 – 5:00 in the Havens Library. Everyone is welcome to join!
One item on the agenda will be a continuation of the world language review. Last year, this included discussions of the benefits of early language learning and the feasibility of a K-5 world language program during the school day.
Please try to attend the meeting or contact PLS board member Amy Weaver who is a Beach site council rep (email@example.com) with your thoughts about world language for our K-5 students.
thanks to Beach mom Midori Lambert for these action shots!